The Stanley family has lived and grown plants on the same land for over 200 years.
Located just five minutes from downtown in South Knoxville, three generations of the Stanley-Davenport family continue to grow plants on land deeded to the family almost two hundred years ago.
A portion of the land was deeded to family patriarch Charlie Davenport by Tennessee Governor William Blount’s half brother Willie Blount in the early 1800’s. Agriculture was the family's main focus from the beginning, and what was then known as the Davenport Farm became one of the largest wheat producers in Knox County. A century or so later growing produce and cut flowers took center stage and the family sold the fruits of their labor at downtown Knoxville's Market Square.
Charlie Davenport's grandson, Charles Stanley and his wife, Mary Kathryn, changed the family's focus toward horticulture when they built the first Stanley's Greenhouse in 1955. By gradually expanding and building more greenhouses, Stanley’s Greenhouse now totals over 190,000 square feet, with the addition of the 36,000-square-foot retail center opened in 2001.
Charles and Mary Kathryn's sons Monte and Rocky, along with Rocky's wife Lisa, continue the family's traditions of growing and selling quality plants with old-fashioned customer service.
By continually expanding their selection of the newest plant innovations as well as heirloom plants, Stanley's ensures that its customers can find whatever they need for indoor or outdoor gardening: houseplants, vegetables, trees, shrubs, poinsettias, flowers, or herbs. Here at Stanley's we like to think of ourselves as the ultimate “green” business. After all, at Stanley's Greenhouse, Green is our middle name!